13 Mar Training to Heal kinectED
We are so excited that Joy Puleo is teaching an all new kinectED course: Body Wise Connection: Training to Heal! This course is designed to teach instructors the process a breast cancer patient encounters from diagnosis to the “new normal”. Pausing at each potential junction in the journey: diagnosis, surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, lymphedemia, adjuvant therapies, and finally the “new normal”. We explore what each of these moments require medically as well as the physical and emotional implications. At each stage we also explore movements that are designed to restore function, support the individual and restore physical trust and empowerment.
5 things participants will learn in this workshop:
– 1 in 8 women (12%) will receive invasive breast cancer diagnosis in their lifetime and breast cancer remains the most common cancer of women worldwide
– That breast cancer not only effects a woman physically but undermines the very essence of a women’s experience from loss of breast tissue, to potentially loss of hair due to chemotherapy and in many cases pre-mature menopause due to hormonal adjuvant therapies.
– How to move clients through each stage of breast cancer from diagnosis, surgery, chemotherapy and radiation, to hormonal treatments and help them usher in a ‘new normal’
– Pilates and GYROTONIC® inspired movements designed specifically to help facilitate motility and healing to tissues damaged from surgeries and subsequent treatments
– How to deal with cancer and its emotional fallout of the diagnosis and medical interventions and how movement can help to physically empower women through this challenging time.
Friday, 4/19: 1-5pm
Kane School CECs = 4
This workshop is PMA Approved
In July of 2013, Joy Puleo, M.A., PMA-CPT moved with her family, from New York to Sacramento, California to join Nora St. John and the rest of the Balanced Body team to work on developing curriculum and educational programming. Joy has been teaching Pilates teachers since 2002 and in the health and wellness industry since 1996 and holds a masters degree from Columbia University in Applied Physiology. Joy presents her own curriculum and Balanced Body modules at conferences and studios around the world and with Balanced Body, she is a regular at most Pilates on Tours. In addition to her degree, Joy holds the following certifications – PMA-CPT; A.C.S.M. Exercise Physiologist and is also able to provide ACE credits for students who take her classes. She is a fully qualified Balanced Body Pilates Instructor and teacher trainer, CoreAlign and Bodhi Suspension System Master Instructor and a graduate of the PhysicalMind Institute. Joy is also a GYROTONIC,® Level I and the Ladder Instructor.
In 2011 Joy founded Body Wise Connection, a not-for-profit which works with women newly diagnosed with breast cancer. Body Wise Connections sole purpose was to remind women that even through cancer diagnosis and treatment the body can heal and strengthen. Body Wise Connection is now a teacher training workshop designed to teach instructors how to work with clients to restore physical self awareness and empowerment through gently, rhythmic Pilates based movements. Though Joy is no longer in New York, Joys work has expanded to include all cancer patients regardless of the primary cancer diagnosis.
I am fueled by the belief that movement changes lives and heals the body and that mindful movement is a critical component to long term health and wellbeing.